Hi – I had a upper molar extracted. After this, Bone absorbsion must have taken place, leaving a slight depression, at the same time, a upper wisdom tooth then grew out next to the gap and closed the gap at a slight angle. However, periodontal pockets opened up at the same time, leading to periodontal disease and I now I have a periodontal pocket of over 7mm in the Wisdom tooth.
On a recent panoramic x-ray there is clear bone loss.
I had a deep root scaling to counter the disease, and maintain excellent dental hygiene, but I am again getting periodontal infections in this tooth.
I am utterly fed up with it, so I would like this wisdom tooth extracted and a implant put in it’s place.
I also have read a lot about the gram negative periodontal bacteria which have negative effects on peoples general health. I would like to think that if the tooth is extracted and a implant put in that would be the end of the disease in the site, as I read there is no periodontal ligament with a implant. Would this be the case?
I realise I would likely need a sinus lift and perhaps a bone graft also to build up the bone.
How would you proceed in this sort of case?
If the tooth is extracted would you wait for 2 months for the periodontal bacteria to be eliminated from the site by a patients immune response? Is it better to get the tooth extracted and wait 2 months before I see a implant specialist?
What sort of outcome can people with periodontal disease I hope for with implants?